Sunday, September 16, 2012

Engagement Story


My gorgeous wedding ring!

Engagement Story

Tom took me to these beautiful gardens in DC called "Hillwood Estate, Museum and Gardens."  It's tucked away in DC.  You would never know you were in the city.  It's very peaceful and pretty surrounded by trees.  Tom and I toured the mansion--which was donated to the Hillwood foundation by Mary Weather Post--which was fascinating.  Mary Weather Post lived in Russia with one of her four husbands and bought a lot of Russian artifacts.  That is so rare--you don't usually see much Russian art.  She was a collector of beautiful things--at least things that were beautiful to her.  I learned several things about Faberge that I did not know beforehand--the first being that Faberge was a man and Russian.  I always thought Faberge was a French brand for the Faberge eggs.

I just realized that I'm supposed to be writing about the engagement...sorry. :)  We went out to the gardens afterwards and were in the Japanese gardens.  They were lovely and the lily pads were blooming--gorgeous pink!  We were headed out of the garden and Tom asked me to stop at the top of a small bridge.  I turned around and he got down on one knee, opened the jewelry box and said, "Will you marry me."  I said "Of course I'll marry you" and kissed him.  We got around to putting the ring on later.  It is so beautiful.  I had told my friend Tom Obray (a friend of mine who also sells diamonds/jewelry) what I wanted, but I didn't actually get to see it before it was designed and sent.  Needless to say I was grateful it had turned out beautifully!!!

I love that Tom took me to a place neither of us had been to before and asked me in this very pretty garden.  It was lovely and sweet.  I'm still kind of surprised that I am getting married.  I told him that and asked if he felt the same way.  He said no that people get married all the time--so practical. :)  Now I have a gorgeous visual reminder.

Someone in my ward today told me that my news was probably the best news she had ever heard (and she is pregnant with her fourth child.)  She actually teared up when she was telling me how happy she was for me.  She was saying that she felt like, when she got married, that her husband was one of the few good guys even available.  I completely agree with her.  To find someone that you can love, who isn't weird or has a lot of baggage is really remarkable.   I told her that I felt so grateful because Tom is wonderful and it is a complete mystery to me why he wasn't married years ago.  I am very happy and excited that I have the honor of being Mrs. Loo. :)

2 comments:

Jewels said...

So sweet! It is wonderfully fun to read about your engagement! Can't wait for next week!! yay!

Jewels said...

This is so sweet! It's wonderful reading about your engagement. I'm so excited for next week! yay!
Jewels