Saturday, January 10, 2009

British Virgin Islands Virgin Gorda


This was the bay area I reached before I had to go back. Notice all the big rocks. You can play on them. Really so much fun as there are caves and all these crevices and places to explore.

This is the Baths at Virgin Gorda (BVI). It is just gorgeous!!!

Kristin showed me pictures of "The Baths" in Virgin Gorda in the British Virgin Islands (BVI) and I really wanted to go! It reminded me of the Seychelles--an island off Africa (which I totally want to visit one day.) It actually kind of ended up being a series of unfortunate events that day. All I can say is don't go on a Monday. Their ferry schedules are posted, but they forget to mention the part that they actually leave about fifteen minutes late and then may return and get a late passenger.

I took a ferry from St. Thomas to Tortola (another British Virgin Island) and then caught a taxi to a different part of the island to catch another ferry (which I had missed since the ferries don't run on time.) I decided to go ahead and go to Virgin Gorda anyway because I really wanted to see it and I knew I would be terribly disappointed if I didn't go. (It was a very expensive trip for such a short amount of time!)

When I got on the next late ferry I asked a guy who worked on the ship when we would arrive. I explained my plight that I only had an hour to be there and wanted to get off first. It's a good think I talked to him as I will explain later.

We arrive and I took the open air taxi (with everyone else on the ferry) to "The Baths." I ended up only having about 45 minutes there, but I played on the rocks and went out to a beautiful bay. Next time I go, I think I will spend the night there so I can play all day. It was just fun!

I caught the taxi back to the ferry (the only person) and as I was walking up to the ferry I thought I had left my camera in the taxi. I ran back to the taxi and it wasn't there. I went and grabbed my stuff I had left on a little fence and was running towards the ferry. It was leaving. Picture me running in my swim top with my open backpack in front of me in flip flops. The guy I had spoken with earlier on the ferry saw me and called for them to go back to the dock. I was SO glad I had talked to him as I don't think they would have come back.

I got on the ferry and went upstairs. I couple evidently had seen me running and said that they thought I was going to take a flying leap onto the ferry. We had a good laugh about that. :) I had my camera the whole time.

No comments: